This chapter will look into the various EU quangos either fully or semi controlled by the EU.
There are quite a few, so watch this space.
Official Name: GSA
Budget: 30mill 20177 however financial resources are 2290 mill
This is a EU funded GPS system initially designed for civil purposes but it was later agreed5 to include military purposes.
GPS is crucial for monitoring and assisting troop movements; and for autonomous and automated guided weapons systems.
There are several issues with the functioning of Galileo and the US and NATO supported system2+3 both technical and political.
The civil part of the system is utilised in cooperation with Canada6 and China4.
Until recently it is estimated the UK has paid £1bn into this project8.
Questions to be asked:
- Does the inclusion of the military use indicate EU want it’s own army independent of NATO?
- If China and Canada are partners and Canada and Switzerland are on the council; why are the UK then being excluded due to Brexit?
- Why does the UK need access to Galileo when the UK can use the US based GPS as part of NATO?
- Should the EU not return the 1bn to the UK when the UK has no part in the asset being created?
Benefiting from its central position in the European security architecture, Europol offers a unique range of services9:
- support for law enforcement operations on the ground
- a hub for information on criminal activities
- a centre of law enforcement expertise
So this is mainly a coordinating organisation for the police in the EU except Denmark, which is excluded from Europol.
Europol cannot directly engage in policing or arrest anybody.
Europol is governed by the European parliament as opposed to Interpol that has a lack of governance10+11.
Drawback is however Europol can only operate inside the EU using the EU arrest warrant.
Interpol has been used for political purposes due to the lack of oversight11.
Yet to come
- European Investment Bank
- European Police Office – Europol
- European Aviation Safety Agency
- European Medicines Agency
- European Banking Authority
- EU Assets (not sure what quango manages property)
- EU Pensions (is there a EU pension fund?)
- …and maybe more
Silly Quangos (staff employed 2018)
These ones are not important but shows the excess in the EU.
Protecting new plant varieties throughout the EU helps uphold breeders’ interests and ensures that their investments in research and innovation are profitable.
European Agency for the operational management of large-scale IT systems in the area of freedom, security and justice (137)
The agency manages the 3 main IT systems dealing with visas, asylum requests and sharing information to guarantee the security of the Schengen Area.
At the crossroads between education systems and the world of work, Cedefop operates as a forum, allowing the organisations with a stake in its work to share ideas and debate how best to improve vocational education and training in Europe. It shares its expertise with political organisations and the 2 sides of industry in the EU countries to help them generate learning and working opportunities.
EU agency working to make gender equality a reality in the EU and beyond. For this, it provides research, data and good practices.
It helps EU countries combat terrorism and serious organised crime involving more than one EU country.
Good Articles (subscripted)
- None yet
- Galileo – GSA
- 5/8-2018: Created document
- 7/8-2018: Minor changes to references document
- 26/8-2018: Added to-do and silly quangos