Just some notes on what should happen once this COVID19 crisis settles.
This note will change, as I consider the mess I have seen taking place during this crisis.
You are on your own
This applies both to the country and yourself.
- Germany bans export of medical protective gear (Reuters, 4/3-2020)
- Only people with British passports are being repatriated to the UK (The Guardian, 31/3-2020)
- French border guards seize two lorries with protective gear for the UK (The Sun, 20/3-2020)
- The US invokes “Defence Production Act” to stop export of masks (Reuters, 4/4-2020)
- US accused of ‘modern piracy’ after diversion of masks meant for Europe (The Guardian, 4/4-2020)
- EU limit exports of protective gear (Financial Times, 15/3-2020)
- No cargo planes to ship Chinese medical supplies (Bloomberg, 20/3-2020)
- India limits medicine exports (The Guardian, 4/3-2020)
- Shortage of PPE and no stockpiles (The Telegraph, 14/4-2020)
- I can’t get an online home delivery slot (The Telegraph, 14/4-2020)
- Supermarkets tell healthy shoppers to stop taking home delivery slots needed for the vulnerable (The Telegraph, 11/4-2020)
- Coronavirus: Face masks sell out but experts say they won’t prevent spread of deadly virus (Independent, 30/1/-2020)
…and much more.
Some of the above limitations were reversed once the disease got under control; but what if the COVID19 had been more serious?
These issues highlights the unpreparedness in our society.
Essentially as a country you must be able to rely on your own supplies, and/or have very strict bilateral agreements in place to ensure supply during a global crisis.
Additionally as a person you need to be aware and foresee your own needs in a situation like this.
What to Do
- Start preparing as soon as a problem starts elsewhere in the world (China)
- Monitor twitter feeds and other underground news from that country
As a Country
- Don’t trust what governments say (like China “we have it under control”)
- Don’t trust what international organisations say (like WHO “China got it under control”)
- Don’t trust main stream news in other countries (controlled by government)
- Have one or more plans ready, both for pandemics and wars (yes, it is just project planning really)
- Always have stockpiles of PPE and key medicines if possible
- Monitor arrivals (airplanes, boats/ships and anybody on foot or on wheels)
- Stop uncontrolled arrivals into the country
- Controlled arrivals to self-isolate or forced isolation
- Redefine citizenship to where you belong (place you live, pay tax and would defend) so people are repatriated to the right place
- Identify strategic businesses, critical resources, products and services by law
- Local resources must be protected and supported by law
- Prevent critical products and services being off-shored
- Prevent strategic businesses being sold to foreign businesses
- Subsidise strategic business
- Mandate people to work from home if possible, to reduce pollution and dependency on fossil fuels
- Have an agency like the US DHS – Department of Homeland Security – to stockpile resources from PPE and antivirals to inflatable hospitals
Examples of critical resources and strategical businesses:
- Iron/Steel (China is now main supplier of steel)
- Farming (yes, we need food)
- Food shops (ensure distribution)
- Coal (yes, if oil supplies stops, we better start using coal again)
- Medicines (most medicines are now from China and India)
- Weapons factories
- Research facilities (especially medical, biological and other high-tech)
As a Person:
- Don’t trust what the government tells you (like “masks don’t help”)
- Don’t trust what main stream media tell you (controlled by government)
- Prepare for lockdown and supply problems for 2-3 months minimum
- Prepare exit/entry procedures for your property
- Keep stocks of the physical items below for the duration of the above period
- Keep the pantry full and fresh; cycling contents regularly
- PPE especially masks and goggles
- Vitamins, especially C and D
- Disinfectants, soap, 2-propanol, alcohol
- Cash, gold and silver and have bank accounts in different banks
- Procure thermometer, blood pressure monitor, pulse oximeter (SpO2)
- Who instigated “herd immunity” in the UK?
- Did the UK government not see the COVID19 coming back in Jan-2020?
- Why did the UK not have plans ready (pre-planned) for a pandemic?
- Where did the Coronavirus originate from? (hint: not from people eating bats; it is an obvious cover story)